Formal policing in Swaziland can be traced back to the colonial era in 1907, when one Lord Selborn, who was High Commissioner for South Africa, signed the Swaziland Administration Proclamation which made provision for the formation of a Police Force.
The organization has continued to evolve and grow over the years, and in tune with the times, also changed it’s identity from being a “Force” to a Service. On 8th April 1907 Captain C.H. Gibson was appointed as Assistant Commissioner for Swaziland with Headquarters in Mbabane. A contingent of 22 European Police officers was transferred from South Africa to establish what was then known as the Swaziland Police Force. In addition, 125 African Zulus from Natal were recruited to make the full complement of the establishment.
In 1927 the Resident Commissioner approved an increase of the establishment by six constables and consequently a Police Training School was established in Mbabane. In 1965 a modern training college was built in Matsapha. In 1967 the establishment was increased to 644 officers. In 1968 the Police Band was formed in preparation for the Independence celebrations. After Independence and on the occasion of A Royal Review of the Swaziland Police Force which took place at Matsapha Police College, His Majesty King Sobhuza II as Commander-In-Chief, renamed the Police Force as the Royal Swaziland Police Force. The legal instrument that established the Police Force is the Police Act No. 29/1957.
The organization is employed throughout the four regions of the country to :
a) Preserve peace
b) Protect life and Property
c) Prevent all incidents of crime and detect crime
d) Maintain law and order